Tick Tock!


If you’re a woman, you know the terror that goes along with your “biological clock”. That thing tells you that time is ticking away and you only have a certain window of time to conceive and give birth to your children. Most times it has nothing to do with science and everything to do with society. What is considered normal and acceptable for the world is what pushes is to become mothers and wives at a certain time. Studies suggest that 35 is the maximum age a woman should be before her chances to get pregnant start to decrease and her risk for unhealthy pregnancy & birth begin to increase.

As soon as a woman is born, she gets put on the clock, a race against time. Pair that with all of the other pressures a woman has to face of who and what she should be, not to mention when she should be that person, and you find lots of confused women. And if you just to happen to be a woman that is facing the challenge of being unable to conceive or carry a child to full term, you are now faced with the fact that your biological clock is now a ticking time bomb. That window of time is closing so quickly that you begin to feel like it’s suffocating you. What if you don’t make it to pregnancy before age 35? What if you do make it? There are so many questions and very few answers. But there is one BIG GOD!!!

Genesis 17:16-17 16"I will bless her, and indeed I will give you a son by her. Then I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her." 17 Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, "Will a child be born to a man one hundred years old? And will Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?"

For me, turning 35 is not too far in the future, and I would be untruthful if I didn’t confess that it makes me uneasy to think that my body will do even more damage to my plans to have a child. At each doctor’s appointment I am reminded that time is not on my side. I am certain that when Abraham heard God say that Sarah would bear a child for him at 90, he didn’t need a doctor to tell him how ridiculous that sounded. If she couldn’t get pregnant at prime child-rearing age, how in the world would she do it when she was the prime age to be someone’s great-grandmother? That laugh was not in humor or joy, it was in disbelief. He thought it was laughable that God would wait until they were into their geriatric years to say they were going to conceive.

God’s timing won’t look anything like ours because He is the Creator of time. The Creator of time is not moved by time. His ways are so far above ours and His thoughts are so far above ours that we can’t imagine what He is planning in His timing. But when your biological clock is the only sound you can hear, you will tune out the voice of God and be resistant to His plans.

My life verse is Jeremiah 29:11 but I want you to read verses 10 and 11 in The Message Bible: This is God’s Word on the subject: “As soon as Babylon’s seventy years are up and not a day before, I’ll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

Sometimes God’s plans to take care of you, to give you a future and a hope don’t follow a timeline you can even keep track of. Maybe He wants to exceed your expectations in a way that only He can get the credit for it. But, you’re going to have to wait for it. It’s up to you, are you going to settle for your way or wait for His will.

I want to encourage you on your journey as I encourage myself. I know what it feels like when the doctors say the odds are stacked against, including your biological clock. I know what you’re thinking when every time you celebrate another birthday you’re looking at your chances of a healthy pregnancy, labor, and birth. I know about it all but I also know that time has to bow down to God, just like we do. Fix your eyes on Jesus instead of the ticking clock, that’s where your hope is!

With All My Love,
Mrs. Truscott

Comments

Popular Posts