A Cursed Calling

Most times when you see children referenced in the Bible, they are being called a “reward” or a “blessing” from the Lord. As a matter of fact in Psalm 127:3-5 the Bible says “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. 4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. 5 Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

Biblically, having children was something that reflected the blessing of the Lord. So, in turn, not having children was considered to be a curse and a sign that God did not favor you. During Bible times, if you were a woman who couldn’t have children you were riddled with shame and sometimes even ostracized from the rest of society. Now that I think about it, that’s not much different than what happens today. We don’t discuss the hurdles that some have to deal with when it comes to conceiving and delivering a healthy child. We whisper about what the issues might be but we don’t help those women that may be suffering, not even in the church. We don’t know how to encourage our sisters that may be dealing with unanswered prayers for a child or those whose faith is fading as they trust God with their wombs. So, instead of just providing support we stay silent while they suffer.

When I gave God a yes to enter ministry 3 ½ years ago, I didn’t think about my journey to fertility would be part of what I shared with the rest of the world. I wasn’t prepared to share my story with anyone outside of my family. I was still very broken about the condition of my womb and I felt that I wasn’t qualified to speak on how to be victorious in that area because I was yet to conceive and give birth to a child of my own. I embraced the calling on my life to minister to women about honoring their commitment to God. I trusted His plan for my life and began sharing my heart regarding the importance of trusting Him in every area of our lives. I had no idea that Wives in Waiting was just the tip of the iceberg.

Ephesians 1:11-12 11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.

Over the past year, I’ve begun to realize how my journey to fertility is a calling of its own. The only difference is that I hadn’t fully embraced it is a calling until very recently. I didn’t want the calling that was also considered a curse. Why did my portion have to include a barren womb? Why did God choose me for such a painful, lonely experience in life? Wasn’t it enough that I surrendered my life to Him? How could He possibly get the glory out of me not being to be “fruitful and multiply”?

Then I thought about how my journey drew me closer to Him. How my desire to be a mother forced me to my knees in prayer. How my healing process allowed me to truly celebrate others that had what I believed I wanted. How what I didn’t have allowed me to remain humble over the things I do have. And then He began to send women who were silently suffering on their journey. Somehow, He would shift our conversation so that I could share a little bit about Him and how it was only because of Him that I wasn’t going crazy. He would position me in place to smile through what others couldn’t lift their heads to deal with.

See, a calling can’t be a curse when it comes from God. No matter how anyone else defines it, every good and perfect gift comes from the Lord. When we realize that whatever season we find ourselves, we must trust the Lord it changes how we see things and how we see ourselves.

He would never curse what He’s called you to.

With All My Love,
Mrs. Truscott

Comments

Popular Posts