Moving Forward



We own a business and run a non-profit organization. Our slogan for those is “Moving You Forward”. The basis of everything we do is to move individuals and organizations forward. It has a nice ring to it, right? We sure think so. We love helping people transition from point A to point B, or wherever else they desire to go. We’re in the “moving” business, so to speak. So, one would think, we should be pretty good about moving.

Well, that’s not entirely true. We moved from one city to another about a month ago and this move, for some reason, was so much harder than any other move we’ve made as a couple. Let me give you a little history. Prior to coaching college basketball, the Mr. played basketball professionally, overseas. That meant a new team every season, and sometimes in the same season. We’ve lived in several different countries on several different continents throughout his 10 yr. basketball career. After retiring, we’ve lived in different cities and states because that’s kind of the nature of the business. Needless to say, we are no strangers to moving. So, even I was confused as to why THIS move was so much more difficult than the others we had made.

I spent some time in prayer asking God why I was so anxious or unsettled about moving, I realized that the portion of our journey we were in had required so much of me: emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and financially and I wasn’t sure I had the energy to start all over again. For those of you that have ever had to fight just to believe for something, you may be able to relate to what I’m saying. For years, we sat in cruise control just going through the motions of life. The idea of having a child was an afterthought. We weren’t miserable, we had just resolved that me giving birth just may not be in the cards for us. So, when God challenged my complacency is was like years of healing had to take place. I had to address my desires head-on. God had healed my heart and allowed me to be free to believe again. I began to put some works with that faith. We made doctor’s appointments, told our story, and tried to put a plan in place. If you’ve been on this journey for any amount of time, you know how vulnerable you have to become to let people know all you’ve endured to have a child. It’s freeing, but it’s draining too.

Moving meant going through that process all over again. Getting naked, literally and figuratively, in front of another group of doctors that would go over your reproductive past with a fine-toothed comb. Another round of tests, questions, poking & prodding. We were moving but it seems like the move would cause us to go backwards. Rehashing more of our past without taking the steps I thought we should take to move forward.

But what I’ve begun to realize is that there are still some wounds that I need to be delivered from as we take this journey. Sometimes it’s necessary to remind yourself that the process isn’t meant to destroy you, it’s meant to make you stronger. Each time I make a new doctor’s appointment, I realize the discipline it takes to move forward, even if that means you have to take a few steps back to do it. Each time I say yes to continue the process, my faith is renewed in the God of the promise. As hard as it is to disrobe in front of strangers, I think about the joy there will be when my child realizes the depths of my heart for them even before they are born. But, even more so, I realize that my healing is worth this move. I was letting the anxiety of the transition rob me of the beauty of it.


It’s exciting to move forward, in this journey and in life. But it comes at a price. The price of being prepared for the move so you can handle what comes with that new territory. 

With All My Love,
Mrs. Truscott

Comments

Popular Posts