Postpartum Shedding

I wore my hair in a protective style for the last 8 weeks of my pregnancy and the first 10 weeks after I gave birth. It was easier during this time to not have to deal with styling my hair or what my hair looked like. But I started to notice is that every few days, I was losing braids left and right. It wasn’t the normal few that come out that I am accustomed. It was 2-3 per day, every day. I got worried and called my stylist. She said, “your hair has entered a resting phase and the extensions are too heavy for your hair to sustain. Take that out of your hair and come in”.

When I got to the salon we addressed some of the loss I was experiencing because of the extensions but also the postpartum shedding I was going through. I knew that my hormones adjusting would impact my hair but I didn’t realize it would be to this magnitude. I was fully prepared to cut my hair but we talked about cutting off the dead ends and nurturing what was there. I wasn’t going to add extensions into my hair, we were going to take care of what I already had.

Postpartum shedding is a part of the lives of many mothers and it can take a toll on the way you see yourself. But when I thought about what my stylist said, I know it was about more than just hair it was about my soul.

Going through different seasons of life require different perspectives. Since having our daughter, I haven’t been able to do as much as I had planned before I gave birth. I haven’t been as productive as I thought I would and that was making me look at myself in dismay. I thought that I would be able to do it all, because that’s the message that we’re given, and I was upset. But when I heard her say, “your hair is resting, you need to remove the extensions”. I took that for my life.

My daughter brought on a season of rest and shedding for me because my life can’t sustain some of the things and people that had been previously attached to me in seasons past.

This is a short blog to start the year because I think the people that are supposed to receive what God shared with me are going to get it in these few words.

You’re in a season of rest and shedding. Don’t forsake this time by adding or keeping anything that you can’t sustain.

Here's to 2019!
With All My Love, Mrs. Truscott

Comments

Popular Posts