Never Be the Same

Before the beginning of this year, we lived a fun-filled life. We traveled around the world for my husband’s career and our summers were spent partying the nights away with family and friends. And on most Sundays, we were in church praising God. We were thankful for everything God had done for us. That’s where it ended though. We looked just like everyone else in the world. The family gatherings ALWAYS had to include alcohol and music that would have embarrassed anyone’s grandmother. There were times that we would patronize nightclubs or bars, as well. But it was all “good, clean fun”. No one got hurt, most of the time (I had an unfortunate accident between my forehead and a toilet) and we always respected one another. In the back of my mind, I always knew something was missing from this seemingly fulfilling life but I could never understand what it was.

Then, my husband and I watched a sermon by Bishop TD Jakes on New Years’ Eve titled “Live on Purpose”. I had heard lots of great sermons in my life and even those that I felt were targeted directly at me, but this time was extremely different. My husband and I literally felt that when the sermon was written, the minister was looking at our life story. As much as we had enjoyed our life up until that point, there was a sort of emptiness that we tried to brush off but after hearing this sermon our truth was now glaring us in the face. We were living because God had breathed the breath of life into our bodies, but we were not living on purpose.

What is living on purpose, you ask. I will be happy to explain. When God created each and every one of us, He had something specific in mind for us to accomplish. We were placed on this earth to fulfill a purpose that only we can fulfill. We were meticulously created by the Master Potter and when we don’t fulfill that purpose so many people are cheated of the effects of that purpose. Not only do you miss out why you were created, but so do the people that are supposed to impact through the passion you have. The world is less than what it should be because you are living a common life. Think about this: a place where everyone worked in careers where they felt passionate about what they are doing, not just working to get by. How amazing would that be?

Also, if you lived on purpose you would live a life that served The One who gave you the purpose. Our lives are not the models of perfection because we are striving to be like Jesus, He is the only one who is perfect. However, when people look at us I want them to know what God we serve. So, yes, there are lots of things that we no longer do that we used to consider fun. But, the things that God has replaced them with make them pale in comparison. Our lives our no longer fun-filled, they are filled with unspeakable joy. Not, happy but joyful: happiness is based on the happenings of our life which can be fickle, but joy comes from God and it remains as long as God remains. And if you know what I know, God ALWAYS remains. We still have great family get-togethers over the summer with great music, family, and friends. The alcohol and distasteful music has been replaced with music that fills the soul and delicious concoctions of fruity goodness, lol. But most of all, we can appreciate on another on a deeper level because we don’t need anything else to enhance our experience. We still go to outings like concerts and plays but we don’t go to nightclubs or bars anymore because we feel responsible for others. The reality of our lifestyle is one that people are constantly watching how we conduct ourselves and we would never want to give the wrong impression about what our values are.

It bothers me to hear people say that being a Christian means you can’t have fun. That is the furthest thing from the truth. If you aren’t having a good time, we aren’t serving the same God. So many things have been added to my life I cannot even understand how I missed out on all of this before. This doesn’t mean that my life is easy, because it’s not, but I have a hope in a God that is greater than anything that happens. I would encourage you to take a survey of your passion and purpose; I guarantee you will never be the same.

With All My Love,
Mrs. Truscott

Comments

Popular Posts