What Game?

Since my life is greater than the game, I have yet to do a post about basketball. But I do think that is a little unfair to some readers that are interested in that part of my husband’s life. Although this post is not entirely about his career, it should satisfy that itch..lol.
For those that do not know, my husband plays professional basketball overseas. He has played on every continent except Africa and Antarctica. I have visited/lived with him in Uruguay, Romania, Israel, and Argentina. This season we are in a beautiful vacation city called Mar Del Plata, Argentina. I will post pictures later for your viewing pleasure. Other than the scenery, this has not been a pleasant experience for us. His team has not left the bottom of the league standings the entire time, there have changes in the coaching staff, and as well Louis is the only remaining American of the original team. Some of you may think that our life is the lap of luxury but that is not totally true. There are some people who do live a life full of perks, maids, and shopping while others are forced to chase down their paychecks and must live out of a hotel room. Just as with any other job, some employers are A+ and others barely receive an F-.
Don’t confuse my explanation with complaints. I am so thankful for being afforded the opportunity to travel with my husband while he pursues his purpose in life. Everything seems minor in comparison to that benefit. Prior to traveling with my husband, I would stay in the United States and work a fulltime job in an industry that enjoyed. However, since my husband was several time zones away I could not experience real joy in our separate lives. God allowed us to experience tragedy so that we could realize that we should be spending this time together. I hate that we missed out on the previous years but now we are enjoying every minute of this.
Each time my husband steps foot on the court, it’s a demonstration of God’s grace in our lives. The fact that he is at an age where most would be thinking about retiring but he is playing his best basketball is an example of God’s favor upon the Truscotts. But we are not taking anything for granted. Not only is this his job, it is his purpose in life. God gave him the ability and the desire to play this game so he can use the opportunities to travel around the world and tell of God’s goodness. My husband has the talent to play in the NBA and even worked out for several NBA teams. But God had other things in mind, bigger things in mind. The people we have met during our journey in this lifestyle have enhanced our relationship with Christ. Each situation we encounter, whether good or bad, allows us to Christ at work. We have been afforded the chance to tell those who would never know about Christ how He has impacted our lives.
God is creating world changers and He wants us to be part of the movement. He is using basketball to get it done. That is why my life is greater than the game of basketball. Basketball is the tool that God wants us to use to fulfill our purpose in life. He wants us to travel around the world showing people of different cultures what a life with Christ looks like. We are so thankful for God not choosing the NBA for Louis, even though it broke his heart at the time. Playing in the NBA is so small in the scheme of great things that international basketball will allow us to do.
Even though it may not always be pretty or easy, this lifestyle is a blessing to us and so many other people. Sitting back and seeing God at work in every aspect of our lives is truly amazing. I hope and pray that this provides some clarity into the basketball portion of my life and why I feel that my life is so much greater than the game.
With All My Love,
Mrs. Truscott

Comments

  1. Excellent post. This gave great insight on how your life is connected to "the game".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I really appreciate it your faithful regarding

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. Truscott! Just wanted to send you a quick message (sorry I didn't have your email address) to let you know that I have awarded you the Leibster Award; an award presented to bloggers by their peers for their amazing sites. I absolutely love your site, and am checking it out constantly. You can check out my shout out/me presenting the award to you here:

    http://virginmonologuez.blogspot.com/2012/03/i-received-my-very-first-blog-award.html

    Have a great day, and thanks for all the work that you put into making your blog a really good site :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Your words (and award ;)) mean so much to me. The support you have provided has been unmatched. I truly appreciate all you have said and done. I will get on my nominations ASAP.

      Delete
  4. Why do I feel like I wrote this post? I never tell people what my husband does for a living. I never talk about it to anyone other than those 'involved' in it in some way. When people refer to me as a basketball wife, I politely correct them and explain 'I am not married to my husband's career. I am Zelly's wife'. I do not refer to my neighbor as 'the mailman's wife' or the other one as 'the accountant's wife'. . .we have names and are not defined by what our husbands do. . .LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make an excellent point. Their career path does not define our relationships with these wonderful men. Basketball player is a job title, not an identity...not for them nor for us. Thanks for your support girl.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts