Called to What?


I avoided it. I denied it. I ran from it but God kept bringing it back up. He spoke to me through the words of others and He even showed me in my own dreams. I have known for a while that there was a calling on my life. More recently, I began to realize that the very thing I never saw myself doing was beginning to come true. God will always give you more than what you ask for! I asked God to use me in a way that I would be most effective for Him. I never imagined that He would use me in the ways that He has, but I wasn’t willing to think about what the true calling could be.  You guessed it; God has called me to PREACH his Word.

Each of us is called to be a vessel to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 6:4 says “In everything we do, we show that we are true ministers of God. We patiently endure troubles and hardships and calamities of every kind”. Being a minister does not just mean preaching from a pulpit. A minister is someone who shares the word of God. As a Christian, your job is to share the word of God on a daily basis. Your lifestyle should be a living representation of the God you serve. People should be able to observe the way you live and know, without a doubt, who you live to serve. When you see someone hurting, you go to comfort them. If you have an opportunity to share how good God has been to you, take it! God will present opportunities to give to the needy or feed the hungry, be the first to volunteer. All of this is ministering; most of us minister to others on a daily basis without even thinking about it. Someone seeing a smile on your face and having unspeakable joy in the presence of adversity does wonders for the kingdom of God, minister on!

During this time in my life, I have accepted that God wants to use every area of my life for ministry. He has already used my past to draw others nearer to Him. He has healed my body and my heart to be a living witness for Him. This blog and my other writings have been all for God’s glory and out of obedience to His word. But….there’s more. There is a higher calling that God wants me to answer. He has presented opportunities for me to step out at a new level. Initially, I was afraid and resisted because that was not something that I ever saw myself doing. But I was reminded that writing was not something I ever saw myself doing. I never saw myself being totally “souled out” for God. I didn’t want to be one of those Jesus freaks (I would now rather be a Jesus freak than any other kind of freak). I also know that fear does not come from God (2 Timothy 1:7) so I had to immediately evaluate why I felt that way.

I was dealing with feelings of incompetence and inferiority. I’m educated but have never attended seminary. No one has deemed me to be the “heir apparent” at their church and my name is relatively unknown. But I had to think of how famous God’s name is!!! Who better to qualify me than the Master himself? I did not have to fear anything because He is with me, just as He has been all along. Being led by the Holy Spirit does not always make sense in the beginning but it always works out for our good and His glory. Although it took me a while to answer the call, I have never been more sure of anything else in my life.

I encourage you to evaluate your level of ministry, whatever it is. Are you doing the most where God has assigned you, whether it is in the soup kitchen, on the street, at your job, in your classroom, or in your living room? We all have a calling on our lives but each of us is most effective in certain area. Be committed to serving God the best way you can, no matter where it is. Remember, many are called but few are chosen (Matthew 22:14). You are called to serve God, live in your purpose on purpose.


With All My Love,
Mrs. Truscott

Comments

Popular Posts