Happy Independence Week


This week, the United States will celebrate Independence Day. This day in history marks their freedom from England becoming their own nation. The citizens of the new nation no longer had to rely on this tyrannical power. They had been subjects of a kingdom that they desired to live behind them. Now they had the ability to govern themselves and to make new laws that they were comfortable with, without the fear of being persecuted or cast out. American citizens would not have a large amount of the freedoms we have, without this momentous occasion.

But, what’s more important to me is the freedom we have in Christ. Before being adopted into the royal family of God, we were lost in the sin we committed. In John 8:34 Jesus reminds us that “everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin” (KJV). Before I gave my life to Christ I was bound in a place where I didn’t want to be but I enjoyed it. My sin was so deep because I had done it for so long but I knew it was wrong. Slavery is defined as the state of one bound in servitude as the property of a slaveholder or household. At a very young age, I engaged in premarital sex with someone who didn’t love me. I was 14 years old and having a physical relationship that was intended solely for husbands and wives. At the time, I had no idea what the repercussions would be on my spirit and my body but I knew I couldn’t stop. This “relationship” turned into 5 of the most devastating years of my life. Friends could not understand how I could continue to give someone my body that continuously abused, disrespected, and cheated on me. There was not anything that I could explain but I was aware that it was unhealthy.

I had become a slave to my sin and my boyfriend was cracking the whip.

Because of God’s grace, I was able to finally end that fiasco with only spiritual scars. Even though I was no longer with him, my mind was still bound to that destructive behavior. My body craved for that type of connection with a man. I was attracted to the same type of man that would use my body and not be concerned about anything else. Another tumultuous 3 years would lead me through a very similar experience but with more mental manipulation that I imagined. The soul tie that I made with this person resulted in a change in my natural character.


I found myself having a negative outlook on life but I did not understand why until now.

His spirit was now holding me captive. The sexual relationships that I had were coming back to haunt me. There were things I began to recognize in myself that I had seen for so long in the men I slept with. This is why God wants to save this sacred act for husband and wife. When your soul connects with someone in this way, you are forever connected to them. That’s right! You remain attached to everyone you share your body with.

I had to make a liberating decision for myself. I was going to fall in love with God, above else. I didn’t care what people thought of me; it no longer mattered. I had been a slave to so many other things in my life and I just wanted to be free. I wanted to know who I was and WHOSE I was. The effect that other people had on me was giving them too much control but I didn’t know how to stop it because I had spiraled out of control. When I fell head over heels with God, I found safety and freedom. I was able to forgive myself for the sins I committed against God because I understood that He forgave me before I even thought to ask.

God provides a freedom that no one else can give. He rips us from satan’s hand and rescues us from spiritual death. Jesus’ crucifixion gave us access to this freedom. We don’t have to pay the price for the sins we have committed because someone else already did. God’s love has set us all free from what we have been bound to; you just have to go get it. Do you want to be independent or do you want to remain a slave? You decide!

With All My Love,
Mrs. Truscott

Comments

Popular Posts