Labor Day


Today we celebrate Labor Day. A day that has been set aside to honor American workers and it also frequently celebrated as the last day of summer. All over America there are parades, bar-b-ques and family gatherings. Most are able to enjoy today without having to spend the day working (laboring) but enjoying a day of rest. It’s interesting that the holiday is called Labor Day but represents a day when no labor is done.

James 2:26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

Today reminds me that when God gives you instructions, He wants you to believe them AND follow them. Labor Day may be a day when you don’t do any work at your job but you can’t give up on what God told you to do. This past weekend I attended Mega Fest and everything that was shared was so personal for me. I consider myself to be a person of great faith, when God tells me something I don’t hesitate. I am the person that believes God for the impossible. When people tell me what they believe God for, I pray in agreement with them and I believe God for their miracles.

But when it comes to my own life, I celebrate Labor Day a little too often. God has given me great assignments and I am grateful but there are certain things that I don’t have the faith or the works for. Not because I want to be rebellious but because I feel like God has already been so good to me. There are things that I know I’ve heard God say to me but I bury them in the back of my mind because I am already so busy with everything else God has already given me. 

There isn’t a time when I think God can’t do it, I just reserve myself to thinking that God won’t do it.

God sent me a reminder this weekend that He has been waiting for me to return to work. Not in anyone’s office, but in my own faith. I had given up on some of my own dreams because I had gotten so entrenched in seeing other people realize theirs. What I considered unselfishness was standing in between a deeper intimacy between God and I. I didn’t see the worth in believing God for something so radical because my life was better than I deserved. I have a husband that loves me, a ministry that is growing by leaps and bounds, a group of friends that support and push me, and the list goes on. Why do I need to keep asking God for something that I may not have a right to? I could put that time and energy into helping someone else.

This Labor Day, get back to work on those things that you have laid to the side. Resurrect those dreams you’ve allowed time to kill. Give life to those promises that God gave you so long ago. Don’t become so discouraged by how long it’s taking. God has just asked for the faith and the work, and He will do the rest. It may be the end of summer but whenever something ends, something else is beginning. Fear is only as strong as you allow it to be. Don’t give it so much power that it keeps you laboring for your promise and believe that God will do just what He said.

What we have to realize that God doesn’t want us to labor for His sake, but for our sake. Laboring teaches you to have discipline that goes along with your faith. He will get the glory for what you labor fair but you will be made stronger for laboring for it.

With All My Love,
Mrs. Truscott

Comments

Popular Posts