Growing Pains


Carrying life inside my womb has been one of the most fulfilling journeys that I have ever embarked on. It is so much more beautiful and different than anything I have ever experienced in its own unique way. It’s hard to grasp the depth and width of the process because each day, doctor’s appointment, and moment is so different from the one before. Outside of my relationship with God and my marriage, I am not sure that I have felt intimacy on this level. Even though I have yet to see my sweet baby’s face, I feel like I know this child better than any other person on the face of this earth. And while I am the place where this baby grows, they know me intimately.

While of this is an amazing process knowing and being known, there are also parts of this journey that are not as pleasant. Hear me out! This is not a blog about complaining, bemoaning, or forsaking this process. I remember seeing women who begged God to get pregnant, or receive anything they had waited patiently for, and then beg God to make that thin fit into their perception of what it should be. This is not one of those moments.

Also, I know that for the most part, my pregnancy has been “easy”. Thankfully, I have not really had to deal with nausea, food aversions/cravings, excessive weight gain, or any of the not-so-great things that other women experience. I am so grateful that my time during these precious moments have been so enjoyable but one of the things that I didn’t expect is all the aches and pains that come along with growing another human being. My hips hurt, my hands and feet or swollen, and my belly is heavy. When I talked to my doctor about it, he said I was experiencing normal “growing pains”. In hindsight, of course it’s going to hurt to be the oven where our little bun is baking. But as it’s been happening, it’s challenged my expectations of what I felt this process would be and it got me to thinking.

How many times do we pray for something without taking the process into consideration? Sometimes we don’t consider that we are going to have to readjust our lives or make room for what we’re praying for. Our idea of an answered prayer is God dropping the answer to fit in into how our lives are so neatly put together. We don’t want our feathers getting ruffles or have to move out of our comfort zone, even if it’s for something we say that we want.

Here’s the thing. We assume that anything that causes us pain or discomfort is punishment. But what this pregnancy is continuing to teach me is that everything that hurts isn’t bad. The way my body is currently set up at 28 weeks does not leave enough room for our child to properly grow. And they need the room to grow because they are receiving exactly what they need to be able to be healthy outside of my womb. What’s causing pain on the outside of my body is a direct result of the miracle that’s happening inside of my body. PAUSE!!!!

Psalm 139:13-16  
13 For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb.
14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.

The inward parts of my child are being formed to fit the exact purpose God has for them but that forming is causing me pain. The times when we think we are being tried by fire are really just part of the growing process. While our child uses my womb as their little apartment, I experience discomfort. While God makes substance out of what was once unformed, He is writing the story for both of our futures. He is making room where it’s necessary for our child to have room to become exactly what He’s called them to be. Even now, before I’ve laid eyes on the beauty of our DNA, God has made room for them in my life.

Once my child arrives, I will be able to see what I have been feeling for all these months. Their presence will be the fruit of the pain I experienced and the preparation it took to make room for them. Once they are here, it will be too late for my body to stretch to give them the space they need. It’s the work that’s happening while they are unseen that makes their life afterward a success.

My growing belly is a constant reminder that God is always working on the inside and that work will show up on the outside. Sometimes you have to withstand the discomfort because it’s necessary to make room for what you’ve been praying for. It’s not enough to simply pray for God’s will for your life, you have to be willing to endure the process of making room for it. There are some things that you are believing God for and you think preparation happens once you see it but what God is doing is an internal work for an external manifestation.


I think it’s so appropriate for this song to be on repeat until Baby Truscott arrives: Make Room

With All My Love,
Mrs. Truscott

Comments

Popular Posts