Fear Factor


Have you ever wanted to do something so badly but as soon as it was time to go through with it, you found yourself paralyzed by fear? Not just a little scared but genuine fear that you could not overcome! You become stuck between the fears of what the future will bring but fed up with what the past has not done.


I have experienced this same kind of fear. I was so drawn to my destiny that I could not stay away. But at the same time, each attempt I made at walking forward was matched by two steps backward because I was afraid of the unknown. The future was attractive but it was unknown and foreign. The past wasn’t so great but it was comfortable, I knew all about it. I could predict what would happen and I had pretty much mastered my emotions when it came to disappointments. I couldn’t be let down about the past because it was just more of the same.

This makes me think of that show Fear Factor. Where the contestants have to go through a series of obstacles in order to achieve the ultimate prize at the end. The prize could change their life as soon as they receive it. But the catch is they have to complete all of the challenges quickly and effectively before the next/person or team does. In other words, they have to be first at conquering their fears and doing things they have never done before. Their fear cannot be a factor if they want to win the prize.

God had filled my plate with things to do for Him and I wanted to do all of them to the best of my ability.

But I was afraid.

I was afraid to let Him down. I was afraid of what I wasn’t capable of doing. I was afraid of not representing the Father well. I was afraid that I wouldn’t have the right answers. I was afraid that I would mess up God’s plans. In short, I was afraid to fail.

I knew there was a promise for me if I could just get past the fear of not living up to my own standards of greatness. Not only was I keeping myself from His promise, I was also slowing down and deterring the promises He had for others through what He told me to do. He led me to this scripture: 2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (KJV).

That was a big SMACK in the face. God has not given us a spirit of fear and here I was walking around with that very spirit. So if it didn’t come from God it could only come from one another place. Fear is a trick of the enemy to keep you bound to your past. If he can convince you that the future is too scary or unknown, he has you right where he wants you: DOING NOTHING!

God does give a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind. He gave me the power to stomp out the fear that I was letting rule me. I had to show God that I loved Him enough to push past what I was afraid of. And I used the sound mind He gave me to seek the information I needed to move forward.

What I didn’t realize was that by being afraid, I was telling God I didn’t trust Him. He was telling me do these things because He had a plan, He had my back. But it wasn’t about me, it was about the work He needed done. He needed me to do it quickly and effectively because there was someone right behind me who was trying to reach the same prize that I was. But He knew they wouldn’t do what He needed them to do.

So He gave me the opportunity to tackle the challenges that faced me. He wanted me to finish first. He knew the prize would instantly change my life and the lives of those that are touched by what I do for Him. I had to show God that I trusted Him more than I feared the unknown. I had to stop letting fear be a factor.

What have you put off? Not because you don’t want it but because you are afraid of what you don’t know?

Don’t let God’s work go undone because of fear. He has already established a plan; all you have to do is trust Him.


With All My Love,
Mrs. Truscott

Comments

  1. Whoa...Humbly I say that God used you to write this post, not just to minister to yourself, but directly to me. I really needed to hear this, and it came at the perfect time. I have been nervous and apprehensive about doing something that God layed on my heart....all I can say is thank you so much for this post. Time to trust God and go after it! Keep being amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's in the moments I experience fear and hesitation that I am able to experience God the most. Trust His plan and His direction, He has so much more in store for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts